In this final post on Destination Weddings, we’ve compiled a list of pros and cons:
- It’s an extremely fun and unique experience for everyone!
- Actually cheaper (in most cases) than a Lebanese wedding because you’re inviting much less people and you can find good deals for hotels. It also depends how many of your guests you’re flying in or covering for hotels.
- Less people means a more intimate wedding with those nearest and dearest to you.
- Honeymoon and wedding in one location!
- Rather than it just being about just your wedding, you get a few days before or after to do fun stuff with your guests at the location.
- You get to bring together friends and family from different parts of the world that wouldn’t have been able to meet otherwise.
- Booking and finalizing plans can get very stressful as it takes time to get confirmations from your guests for time-sensitive things like flights, hotels, etc.
- Planning a wedding remotely, especially if you’re very detail-oriented, can mean added research to ensure all will work out as you envision.
- Traveling with a wedding dress and stuff for the wedding is a bit of a challenge. Start packing early to ensure you don’t forget anything back home and figure out how you’ll pack your dress (carry-on works and is safer for simpler dress but you may need to check it in if it’s bigger in its own suitcase).
- Not knowing how things get done there may lead to delays in paperwork (for wedding license for example). You may also get ripped off by untrustworthy vendors.
- Risking some of your friends or family not attending due to added cost to fly in and take time off for travel. This may also be an obstacle for the elders in your family who may not be able to travel due to health restrictions.
- Wedding planner may not be as reliable or as involved as you’d like them to be, especially if your wedding is in a location that brings in a lot of destination weddings.
- Visa delays. Fortunately, all our guests got their visas in time but the process is stressful for most Lebanese who sometimes don’t receive confirmation until last minute.
- Unpredictable weather conditions. Depending on where or when the wedding is taking place, you stand a risk of unexpected weather changes that your guests may not be prepared or have packed for. Ours was a chilly September wind that made its visit halfway through the night.
If you’ve had a destination wedding, please share your pros and/or cons with us in the comment section below.
Photography Credit: Vangelis Photography